Thursday, March 12, 2009

Karylle unravels a story through music


By Nickie Wang/ Manila Standard Today

Karylle’s reconstructed heart, figuratively we mean, is amazingly strong for she just throws unpretentious smiles when asked about her failed relationship with actor Dingdong Dantes.

Instead of letting herself be doomed to frustration and heartbreak, she comes up with a project that serves as an avenue of her creativity. Truly, people cannot just find love nor depend happiness on other people alone.

Certain that she is in the moving-on phase, Karylle is vocal on how she deals with people asking how she’s doing. She has learned how to be sincere to people she meets and who subsequently seek her advice on how to cope with failed relationships.

“Even though I would rather be quiet about this whole situation, I guess it’s time to speak up and share what I’ve learned to [sic] other people,” Karylle told writers at the launch of Time For Letting Go.

The songs in the album basically show the stages of moving on. The CD comes with a booklet that contains the lyric of the songs plus an explanation of the stages of her life during her troubled times. The 11-track album is a collection of her most favorite songs, including eight covers and three originals. The album showcases a duet with Martin Nievera (“The Best of Me”) and collaboration with mother Zsa Zsa Padilla (“I Live For Your Love”).

Denial and anger

“Denial is when you keep on saying ‘I’m okay’ even when you’re not.”

Although she doesn’t have a song selected to define denial, Karylle explained that in the beginning, she chose to believe that everything was fine even if something wrong was really happening. When she finally realized the truth, her anger was released through rock songs, loud angry songs. For the album, nonetheless, she chose to cover a Regine Velasquez original “You’ve Made Me Stronger” and a Sheena Easton ballad, “Almost Over You.”

Anger is the emotional state that inhibited Karylle to have a sound and clear thinking. As her depression was tough, she relates to the song “I’ll Never Get Over You, Getting Over Me,” the album’s kick-off single borrowed from the ’80s vocal group, Exposé. It is her outlet to express what she felt at the height of her much publicized breakup with Dingdong.

Depression and bargaining

Right after the denial stage, Karylle had to comprehend reality pushing her to write songs and include them in the album like “Minamahal Kita,” and “Hulog ng Langit.” She revealed that “Wala Na Ba Ang Lahat” is actually a song that she co-wrote with former boyfriend three years ago when their relationship was still sunny.

“I asked for his [Dingdong] permission, I don’t remember if I called him up or simply sent a text, but I told him that I’m going to use to the song for the new album. When I recorded for the album that I also produced before, ’di ko siya sinama dahil malas kasi siya, now is the right time,” Karylle said in a very teasing tone.

Sense of peace and calm

“These are some things that I have come to accept and appreciate that after everything that happened, and being so open to everyone, we’ve reached a certain level of friendship. This is my way of saying to other people na kaya niyo rin ’yan,” Karylle said.

As she accepts reality, the songs “Something New In My Life,” and “Leaving Yesterday Behind” are musical tales that narrate her being brave in facing the new promising chapter of her life. Just like what the songs speak of, she begins to find a new purpose and meaning to her existence.

“It was hard in the beginning when they told me about the concept [of the album], when they gave me the list, it was the whole list of top 100 breakup songs. It was another emotional journey, all the emotions were involved but we tried to find a way around it by listing the stages in my life, na kapag may mapulot ka naman something dito, and if you think of it that way if, ‘eto na yun,” she said in reference to the question about the hardest and easiest part of recording the album.

As the album launch concluded, Karylle said some inspiring words about what she had learned while going through all the trials she had of late.

“In every opportunity that is presented to you in life it’s really how you handle it. I think it just so happened because it was so publicized. Had I handled it the different way, I don’t think that the result could have been the same. I consulted so many people and prayed so hard,” she ended.

Karylle had two albums recorded in 2001 and 2005, Time To Shine and You Make Me Sing, respectively. Both CDs were released under Universal Records. Her latest offering Time For Letting Go under Polyeast Records is now available at all record bars.

No comments:

conundrumist

My photo
Don't dare make me cry. I'm telling you, I look sexy when I weep.