Tuesday, June 17, 2008

DAWN ZULUETA: On motherhood, beauty and politics

By Nickie Wang
Contributor /Manila Standard Today
17 June 2008

If a calla lily or honeysuckle would be a person, it would definitely be Dawn Zulueta.
Like these flowers, Dawn is admired, well-known for her blossoming and effervescent personality that appeals to people of all ages. She’s a mother who brings colors to the world of her child, and a wonderful wife who stands by her man.
Her popularity surged in the ’90s with an array of blockbuster films that showcased her refined dramatic flair, and television hosting that engraved her name as one of the most multi-talented actors around. Several years later, with just a few television appearances, it seems like Dawn Zulueta still appears in a daily primetime drama series. This is such a feat enjoyed by not many celebrities of her contemporary.

Dawn on parenting

As a mother to her two-and-a-half year-old son Jacobo, Dawn has learned even more significant things that help build her personality. Just like any other mother who wants only the best for her child, Dawn sees to it that she’s there to witness little things that her child will do, and be able to guide him in every small step that he makes. As the adage goes: “Motherhood is a learning process, an exercise of humility and patience,” and this has given Dawn a chance to know and discover things about herself.
“I find it [motherhood] very character building. I thought when I got married 10 years ago that the whole adjustment of married life was hard enough, a challenge enough, but it’s even more when you are a mother because there’s an expectation that you should always set as an example,” Dawn says over lunch.
She calls motherhood character building because it’s a great time for her to get to know herself and what her principles are, beliefs that she stands for. She says that these are the same things she will pass on Jacobo.

Jacobo goes to school

Dawn is more than excited for Jacobo in his first day in school. The toddler who goes to a preschool has been getting tips from her celebrity mom to prepare him for school.
The entire summer, Dawn had prepared him with little things like potty training, using more of his words, and learning to deal with teachers.
“Jacobo already talks but I encourage him to make use of his words more. I always tell him that school is going to start next week and he cannot scream on the floor so that the teacher would attend to his needs. I tell him that he needs to talk and use more of his words because teachers will not understand him with tantrums,” she said.
Dawn says Jacobo drinks six glasses of milk a day so she doesn’t worry about the nutrition her son is getting. She boasts that the kid doesn’t have any allergy but still consults the pediatrician whenever she’s giving a different milk formula to her child.
“When GainPlus came in, I said I have to consult my pedia[trician] first before I could consider it. I cannot just give something to my child, but I am glad that I switched to it. Even before Jacobo was taking GainPlus he was already taking Abbot formulas,” Dawn adds.
Dawn is enthusiastic to tell us something about Jacobo who was born prematurely. “He doesn’t like choco[late] much, so what I did, I mixed choco[late] with vanilla. He didn’t finish it because he wondered why it tasted different so I asked him: ‘Do you like chocolate or vanilla?’ ‘Nilla,’ he said.”
Dawn sees her son’s progress and she wants to continue the nutritional values his son is getting from Abbot products.

Fab at 39

Yes magazine voted Dawn one of the most beautiful stars in the Philippines. “I don’t know how they came up with that list,” a visibly flattered Dawn says, and adds that eating well and not over-doing everything are the only secret she has. “It doesn’t matter what size you are. What’s important is that you’re healthy. You’re heart is good,” she says.
Dawn who endorses beauty treatments said that she’s looking forward to see her wrinkles but will never ever try any cosmetic surgery to enhance her body or alter something on her face and be under anesthesia. She wants to age gracefully but confessed that she will do preventive measures to delay aging.
“I think I am lucky, that we are in this stage of technological advancement that all we have to do is to prevent aging. But believe me I don’t want to be 60 years old and still look like I am 30. For some people maybe that’s their goal but that’s not mine,” she confessed sincerely.
With her radiant skin and beautiful face she has been receiving movie and television offers but has chosen to decline, at least in the meantime. She is mostly occupied with motherhood and as a supportive wife to husband and Davao Rep. Anton Lagdameo. She plans to go back to hosting, films or TV series but she is choosy with the materials being offered to her. She would rather choose something that suits her taste and see herself doing.

Advocacies and politics

She is an active member of the Congressional Spouses Foundation, and also I Can Serve Foundation that helps women fight breast cancer.
In Davao, she is one of the people who try to seek funds for unit of the Davao Regional Hospital that was destroyed by fire thru Maharlika Foundation. She is also strongly involved with Bataluman Crisis Center, also in Davao, the center for the protection and rehabilitation of battered women and children.
It is no surprise that with these advocacies and projects, her name is always in the list of celebrities who are rumored as being groomed for an elective position. Her friends have been constantly egging her to join politics or be involved in some kind of public service. But Dawn says that politics is not her concern and there are better ways to help people other than being in government.
“I’ll just change my prayer that there’s someone fit, that when the time comes, it wouldn’t have to be me. Honestly, I would rather do what I am doing now and not to be in that kind of service. I think that’s a vocation for people who have empty nest. I have just started my nest. I can’t imagine I am planning to have another baby; I want to be a mom. I am not yet used to the idea that I am a mom and I would play a role of being the mother to my constituents, it’s tough,” she says.

No comments:

conundrumist

My photo
Don't dare make me cry. I'm telling you, I look sexy when I weep.