Friday, May 16, 2008

Young blood livens up classical music scene

By Nickie Wang/Manila Standard Today

17 May 2008

Every great composer had to use all creative energy left in his body to compose a musical masterpiece: music with strong dramatic impact that lingers in our senses and unleashes the free-spirit that induces us to sway with the melody.

A pianist with the highest artistry like Angelo Ortiz can do more than that. He can open the skies and call down the angels to sing with him while caressing the keys of the grand piano.

A very young master of the keyboards at 24, Angelo is the only one in the country who plays and composes under the genre of new age classical pop piano music. With this feat, he has already proven his exceptional talent overseas. In 2006, he topped two categories in the World Championship of Performing Arts, a competition that drew 50,000 participants from 50 countries. Held in Hollywood, the competition is considered the Olympics of performing arts.

He started playing the piano at a very young age. He was only seven years old then. As he grew older, he proceeded to acquire formal training in classical piano. He enrolled at the University of the Philippines College of Music in its Piano Extension Program. Inspired by the music of Jim Chapell, Jim Brickman, Yanni, David Lanz, and Maksim Mrvica, Angelo is giving new age classical pop piano music a twist, via his artistry and dashing looks that resonate with international appeal. Recently he released his fourth album, Classica!. The album is distributed by Galaxy Records. It contains nine tracks including the very passionate “Amore,” and his interpretation of Pachelbel’s “Canon” and Vangelis’ “Chariots of Fire.” It also includes the breathtaking “A New Age Beginning” and the outstanding “Pilgrimage,” both his winning pieces at the World Championship of the Performing Arts.

“There are many pianists in the industry but each of us is unique. We play every piece differently. With my new album, my original compositions differ from what I used to play on how my emotions are poured out,” Angelo said explaining his music in the album.

The former musical director and founder of the classical tenors group in the Philippines called Angelos, Angelo also formed his own orchestra, which he calls New Age Orchestra.

“I believe in the talents of the new generation. I am arranging a concert for these children. Who knows, one of them might be a sensation in the future,” said Angelo who attends to his young talents every weekend.

With his dynamic presence on stage and his technical brilliance with his craft, Angelo aims to bring his music to the young generation. He wants to introduce new age classical pop to the young audience.

“The people who listen to me are grown-ups, I want my generation to appreciate my music. I want to inspire them with this gift I have,” the young accomplished pianist added.

Angelo has already set the benchmark for young artists like him. He can even outplay older classical pianists. A relative of world-renowned Cecile Licad, it might not surprise us if he would even outshine this already great artist.

His debut album Serenity, a compilation of his original compositions, continues to reverberate with each of the composition’s slow yet haunting melodies.

Angelo developed his craft through constantly practicing on the keyboards, and the result of which is evident in his awesome performances. He watches performances of other artists to acquire techniques and shares his techniques to his colleagues. He memorizes his pieces by preparing three weeks before the show’s performance dates.

“Before my performance, I don’t talk to anyone so I could focus; I eat less and drink a lot of water. When I practice, I think my neighbors get irritated with [the] sound of my piano,” he said in embarrassment.

After earning standing ovations in the United States and here as well, it didn’t surprise Angelo that he’d receive offers from producers, but most importantly from agents working in the American music industry.

No comments:

conundrumist

My photo
Don't dare make me cry. I'm telling you, I look sexy when I weep.